MCA Alberta offers education and training programs through a variety of learning opportunities designed to meet unique mechanical and service contractor needs. This is accomplished through member meetings, short seminars and full day courses. These feature guest presenters on broad industry topics, product specific technical training, HR and other soft skills training, business skills and succession planning.
Programs are designed specifically for owners and senior management, service managers and technicians, HR leaders, frontline field and office staff to keep the entire team current and to help grow your career.
“I have taken both Project Management and Construction law courses through the MCA and these courses are a must for anyone starting in a management role. Since then, I have enrolled my staff to complete as well.”
Cody Christman ,VP Strathcona Mechanical
- This event has passed.
Building Capacity from Within: Identifying Tomorrow’s Foreman
November 23, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 10:00 am MST$420.00 – $550.00
Identifying Tomorrow’s Foreman
Join MCA and Instructor Prof. Tim Wentz, November 23, 30, Dec 7, & 14th from 8 AM- 10 AM MST for this virtual course.
Part of the Building Capacity from Within series, This course is designed for journeymen who want to explore the possibility of moving to the foreman position, journeymen the company thinks may have the potential to become a foreman, and newly appointed foremen. The course offers a high-level, broad brush view of the techniques and strategies used by foremen to successfully manage all aspects of field labor and project productivity.
This eight-hour course is broken into two-hour segments over four days. It features renowned educator, Tim Wentz. Guest speakers round out this engaging and informative course.
What will you learn?
- Participating effectively in a handover meeting
- Implement a project documentation strategy
- Identify and protect project scope
- Manage the crew and the project
- Understand performance metrics generated by estimating
- Fundamental negotiating skills
- Reading and interpreting project schedules
- Identify and manage changed conditions
- Applying a company’s safety program
- Pre-fabrication opportunities
There will be a 30 minute panel discussion with guest speakers on crew behavior, motivation & discipline.
What will you receive?
- A detailed schedule given closer to date
- Printed materials
- Jobsite journal
Instructor: Professor Tim Wentz
“Tim Wentz has a wealth of knowledge, and it was nice hearing from someone with a lifetime of experience owning and operating a mechanical contracting business.” Jordan Rodger (NRG)
This workshop will involve 100% on-screen interaction with the instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses.
- Webcams are mandatory and are expected to be turned on during all course sessions.
Students are expected to be fully engaged in the class
- Clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program
- Please make sure you secure a quiet space with minimal distractions