MCA Alberta offers education and training programs through a variety of learning opportunities designed to meet unique mechanical and service contractor needs. This is accomplished through member meetings, short seminars and full day courses. These feature guest presenters on broad industry topics, product specific technical training, HR and other soft skills training, business skills and succession planning.
Programs are designed specifically for owners and senior management, service managers and technicians, HR leaders, frontline field and office staff to keep the entire team current and to help grow your career.
“I have taken both Project Management and Construction law courses through the MCA and these courses are a must for anyone starting in a management role. Since then, I have enrolled my staff to complete as well.”
Cody Christman ,VP Strathcona Mechanical
- This event has passed.
TRAINING: Construction Law
June 14, 2021 @ 9:30 am - 1:30 pm MDT$599.00 – $699.00
CONSTRUCTION LAW– Course will take place virtually June 14, 15, 16 & 17th from 9:30 -1:30 MST
Construction owners, managers, estimators, and supervisors will develop an understanding of contract law as it relates to construction and the various CCDC/CCA and other contracts used within the industry. Participants also learn how the Builders Lien Act works and other legal means to resolve construction disputes and avoid litigation.
Audience: The course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators and supervisors.
What will you learn?
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Understand the Canadian legal system and sources of law
- Be familiar with various legal terms used in contracts
- Understand the contract responsibilities of various parties
- Understand the bidding process and contractual obligations
- Understand the contractual relationship between contractor and sub-contractor
- Avoid construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Write RFIs and Change Orders
- Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Understand how the “holdback system” works and why
- Use the Small Claims process to recover debts
Gold Seal Credits Available
This course is delivered in partnership between MCA AB and other Construction associations throughout Western Canada. You’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from across these regions.
You’ll need the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
Course instructors include Tim Williams or Mark Waters both are Gold Seal Certified Project Managers with over twenty years’ experience in the field.
BGC understands construction and the very specialized nature of the industry. Construction companies operate in a very competitive environment. To be successful, companies need to have great people, efficient systems, and management excellence. Our gifted team of instructors enable BGC to provide excellence in construction management training
MCA Events Cancellation policy
5 business days or more- 100% refunded/4 business days or less- 50% refunded/no show – no refund