MCA Alberta offers education and training programs through a variety of learning opportunities designed to meet unique mechanical and service contractor needs. This is accomplished through member meetings, short seminars and full day courses. These feature guest presenters on broad industry topics, product specific technical training, HR and other soft skills training, business skills and succession planning.
Programs are designed specifically for owners and senior management, service managers and technicians, HR leaders, frontline field and office staff to keep the entire team current and to help grow your career.
“I have taken both Project Management and Construction law courses through the MCA and these courses are a must for anyone starting in a management role. Since then, I have enrolled my staff to complete as well.”
Cody Christman ,VP Strathcona Mechanical
- This event has passed.
WORKSHOP- CCDC 5A+5B: Construction Management Keys to Success
June 21 @ 8:30 am - 12:30 pm MDT$599.00 – $749.00
Part of the Construction Management Series
This 3- part virtual workshop will take place on June 21-23rd from 8:30 AM-12:30 PM
Construction Management (CM) is a great solution if done well! CM is about building a collaborative team from the outset of the project. Whether you are the Project Owner, Consultant, General Contractor or Subcontractor, you need to understand your CM roles and responsibilities throughout all project phases: predesign, design, project delivery and post construction. You also need to be well versed in the CM project drivers and concepts in order to fulfil your contractual responsibilities and achieve success. A well-orchestrated Construction Management project drives success for all partners.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?:
In this session, from a team of industry partners’ perspectives, you will:
- Gain an understanding of the Construction Management process
- Recognize when to use Construction Management as a Delivery Method
- Learn the roles of each partner for collaborative success
- Determine when and how to procure Construction Management services
- Identify tools and techniques to optimize Construction Management performance
- Grasp the nuances of the different forms of Construction Management contracts – CCDC 5A|5B (industry standard contracts)
- Understand the duties assigned and compensation for Preconstruction, Construction and Post-Construction in the CCDC 5A | 5B
- Practice the key elements to focus on for project success:
- Engage the design assist process
- Align budgets to estimates
- Use design control to promote cost control
- Apply the learned knowledge to establish the Construction Manager’s compensation
- Discuss the pros and cons for conversion to consolidated pricing
- Acquire critical insights into the challenges with the Construction Management Delivery Method
- **There will be an Orientation session scheduled 2-3 days before the course. You will receive a calendar appointment for the session.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Understanding the keys to success for construction management is important for all industry partners! This course is most applicable to mid-management personnel who will actively be working on Construction Management projects and administering the contract.
- General Contractors and Subcontractors:
- Construction Company Owners/Managers
- Project Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Business Development Managers
- Project Owners – Public and Private
- Third party Project Managers (for the Project Owner)
- Architects and Engineers
- Bonding and Insurance specialists
This workshop requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This workshop will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
Two Gold Seal Credits
Debbie Hicks, B.sc
With a comprehensive and varied education background, learning has been at the core of her career. As former President of the Southern Interior Construction Association in BC for 22 years, liaising with the buyers of construction services, architects, engineers and contractors in advocacy and education brings a solid base to her expertise.
Expert Panel: Trainers’ Bios and picturesCM June 2021
Two Gold Seal Credits
MCA Events Cancellation policy
5 business days or more- 100% refunded/4 business days or less- 50% refunded/no show – no refund
“The panel of instructors delivered a high caliber course with great representation from each perspective of the CCDC 5A & 5B contract (Owner, Consultant, and Construction Manager). Different perspectives were discussed in a constructive and up-lifting way. Information is delivered at a good pace with no waisted time. If you are considering utilizing CM in the future or are currently using it but would like to gain another perspective, this would be a great course to take.”
WORKSHOP REQUIREMENTS (TECHNOLOGY & PARTICIPATION)
Please note the following requirements to ensure your successful learning experience!
- This workshop will involve 100% on-screen interaction with the instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses.
- Computer/Laptop mandatory: Attendees are not permitted to attend via a tablet or cell phone
- Webcams are mandatory and are expected to be turned on during all course sessions.
- Every person able to see, hear, and observe the virtual course sessions must be a paid participant. Non-compliance of this requirement will result in removal from the course. Refunds will not be issued to students who are removed from the course for non-compliance.
- Virtual backgrounds are not permitted
- Group attendance via one paid registration is not permitted
- Students are expected to be fully engaged in the class
- Clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program
- Please make sure you secure a quiet space with minimal distractions