The Construction Law course is designed to develop an understanding of contract law as it relates to construction. The participants will build practical skills and learn how to effectively and proactively deal with conflict situations and avoid litigation. The course will also review other construction related law such as builders liens, collecting debts, bonding, insurance, environmental law and safety law. The course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators and supervisors.
The course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators and supervisors.
What will you Learn?
• Understand the Canadian legal system and sources of law
• Understand the basics of contract law – intention, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity and legality
• Be familiar with various CCDC/CCA and other contracts – how and why they are used
• Be familiar with various legal terms used in contracts
• Understand the contract responsibilities of various parties
• Understand the bidding process and contractual obligations
• Understand how specifications and drawings fit within the contractual hierarchy
• Understand the contractual relationship between contractor and sub-contractor
• Compile and submit proper extras and claims
• Define back charges and how to avoid them
• Avoid construction disputes and claims from the site level
• Write professional RFIs and Change Orders
• Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
• Use the Builder’s Lien Act to obtain security for debts
• Understand how the “holdback system” works and why
• Use the Small Claims process to recover debts
• Understand bonding/surety and how it’s used in construction
• Understand safety law requirements and WCB
The course includes 12 video modules with 10 hours of expert instruction and material.
2 Gold seal credits upon successful completion
The cost is $150.00 + GST.
We are proud to partner with BCG Partners Inc. for their new self paced online courses.
Their courses are a series of user friendly video modules from expert instructors. The courses are self-paced and allow you to decide when you want to learn, and how quickly you want to work through the material. Courses are divided into modules that contain expert instructional videos, access to slides with narration, and interactive exercises. Each module concludes with a short, multiple choice quiz that requires an 80% pass mark before proceeding to the next video module. Upon successful completion of all modules you will receive a certificate of completion.